Friday, April 30, 2010

The downside


I'm starting to feel the sad side of all this good news.

Yesterday I met three old work friends for a going away happy hour. There was a lot of laughter and a lot of fried food.

After I parted ways from those three wonderful women I walked over to G and L's house. That's them, above, at our wedding. (G is the teeny one in the middle, L is on the far right.) G lived two doors down from me our freshman year of college and we lived together for two years after that (including a semester where G and I shared an actual room and L lived in the same suite with us).

G is getting married in August and I went to her house last night to help her try on her wedding sari and figure out how to get it altered. Later we met L at a restaurant not far away for snacks and cheap wine (I swear, I do not have drinking problem). Among other things, we determined that all three of us should go to the alternation appointment: L is the seamstress and she will know if the woman is any good but she is too passive to say anything, as is G. I'm the bossy one so my job is to interpret their looks and make sure the woman listens to G.

That conversation, and the evening in general, made me realize how much I will miss these two women. Except for the time that I was in Senegal I have spent the last nine years living within walking distance of them, and I hadn't thought about what it will mean to lose that.

I don't really want to think about it now, either.

5 comments:

  1. That is tough. My two best friends in college live the floor above and the floor below me. One of them left for war right after we graduated and our last night together we just cried and took shots. (We don't have drinking problems either. Haha!)

    But now, my friend is back in the states and about to marry his wife in NC this July. And our other best friend lives 20 minutes away from me with his girlfriend. Life changes and it's a weird transition, especially at this age.

    I hope the three you, no matter how far you all are, stay close and connected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best girlfriends are scattered across the country (and for a while, across the world.)We don't stay in touch as well as we could, but it doesn't matter. Every time we get together, it's like no time has passed. I didn't think such a thing was possible, but it is. And it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving is really hard, even when the moving is a good thing. I've learned I have to give myself permission to struggle with moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad to realize that your closest friends are not really....close anymore. As we get older it seems like everyone is settling on their cities and meeting up less and less. It is great to have friends that you can just pick up with again so easily no matter how long it has been since you last saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the bit I hate most about growing up. None of my best friends live in walking distance. Most of them are in completely different countries/continents/time zones. It's fantastic how it seems like no time at all has passed when we do get together, but it happens so infrequently at the moment, which is hard.

    Fingers crossed it works out for us as it has done for Angie.

    ReplyDelete